Aside from proper training and better understanding of hitting techniques, a player must be equipped with the right gear. One of the most crucial parts to become competitive and be considered a “big hitter” in high school and collegiate baseball is by having the best BBCOR bats 2016 possible.
There is a wide selection of softball bats these days hence; you should be educated to come up with an excellent choice. We know it is tough to pick the “right one” and probably, you want to get the most from it. We come up with a short-list of the best BBCOR bats 2016 that you can consider. You might just realize that one of these superior-performance baseball bats is the perfect bat for you.
Our pick: top 5 best BBCOR bats 2016
DeMarini Voodoo Overlord FT
Easton S500 BB14S500
Marucci Cat 6
Easton BB15MK MAKO COMP -3
TCT Thermo Composite
Easton BB15MKT MAKO TORQ -3
TCT Thermo Composite
Understanding BBCOR Bats
Some of you, especially newbie baseball players do not really understand what BBCOR means and the specifications of BBCOR-certified bats. BBCOR means Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution. Simply, the standards regulate the amount of energy lost during the contact of the baseball bat and the ball.
These bats have been approved by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). Like the usual bats, it can be made of wood, aluminium or composite materials. However, the major difference of BBCOR bats from regular bats is that they have passed rigorous standards for its trampoline effects. Other specifications are:
- The level of the trampoline effect reflects on the number registered in the bat. BBCOR bats come with a .50 rating (or less) during testing. It is also the maximum value this bat could achieve.
- All BBCOR certified bats should have a length to weight ratio that is not greater than -3.
- The size of the barrel’s diameter should not be greater than 2 ⅝” and the length should not be more than 36”.
- The BBCOR standard reduces the speed of batted ball up to 5% from the BESR standard.
All leagues that follow the rules of NFHS and NCAA should use bats that meet the BBCOR certification. Older divisions such as USSSA, Little League, PONY, Dixie and Babe Ruth may also require BBCOR bats especially if the bat is made of composite materials.
Top 5 best BBCOR bats 2016 reviews
The wide array of the best BBCOR bats could be overwhelming thus, below is a short review of five of the most popular BBCOR bats to help you decide on what is the best BBCOR bat for you.
DeMarini 2015 Voodoo Overlord FT BBCOR
First introduce in 2015, the DeMarini Voodoo Overlord immediately became of the most promising BBCOR bats. Despite the success of the DeMarini Voodoo Raw which was launched in 2016, the Overlord still continues to be a favourite. It is considered one of the most powerful bats and is the choice of many elite baseball leagues. Its bat technology includes:
- Paradox Plus Composite Barrel, which is a trusted technology in the field. It creates the require trampoline effect upon contact and allow the transfer of energy.
- It also comes with D-Fusion FT Handle technology which eliminates vibration and relieves bat sting upon contact. This feature enables players to swing more confidently.
- Its Flame Tempered or FT technology also helps reduce bat sting, working effectively with the FT-infused Handle.
- And because it has Low Pro end cap, you can expect to have a more balanced and stable swing.
- In terms of comfort, the RCK Knob created by DeMarini ensures player to have the optimal hitting experience.
Easton 2014 S500 BB14S500 BBCOR Baseball Bat
The S500 is included in Easton’s Speed Brigade Bats, which is crafted using 7059 Aircraft Alloy. This material is incredibly strong and allows fast swing speed. Other features of the Easton 2014 S500 BB14S500 BBCOR are as follows:
- The S500 offers great balance allowing the players to drive the ball harder when it is deep in the zone.
- Not only that speed of the swing was improved, you can only experience maximum power.
- It features a pro tack grip which enables player to have better control of comfort while using the bat.
- Its 7059 Aircraft Alloy material and one-piece construction ensures durability and lightweight.
Marucci Cat 6 BBCOR Baseball Bat
The Marucci Cat 6 is considered one of the best BBCOR bats because of its unique and efficient features.
- It has one-piece alloy bat construction aims for quicker bat speed.
- It also lessens M.O.I which enables players to have greater control of the barrel and make solid contact with relative ease compared to bats with higher M.O.I.
- The barrel of the Marucci Cat 6 is like that of the bats used in big leagues. This provides player the better chance of easy transitioning from BBCOR or Youth Bats to wood bats as their career progressed.
- Marucci does not use rings within the barrels of this bat thus, it has a Ring-free Barrel Technology, which is unique to them.
- They optimize the balance, power and strength of their bats instead.
- They also incorporate the anti-vibration knob which eliminates feedback and bat sting so you can expect greater comfort and feel.
Easton 2015 BB15MK MAKO COMP -3 BBCOR Baseball Bat
There no much change on Easton’s 2015 Mako, but it continues as one of their top-selling bat in two-piece model bat category nowadays. Its foundation is the TCT or Thermo Composite Technology which makes it ultra-thin, extremely lightweight yet sturdy.
- TCT increases swing speed and allows players to experience better bat control. This adds up to their confidence to make contact with the ball.
- It also features the CXN or Easton’s patented two-piece ConneXion Technology. This alleviates vibration that may cause distraction to the players. It absorbs energy and redistributes it back to the barrel.
- It is a well-balanced bat that offers solid and comfortable grip. This kind of bat is ideal for length practice sessions.
Easton 2015 BB15MKT MAKO TORQ -3 BBCOR Baseball Bat
Like the Easton MAKO Comp, the Easton MAKO TORQ also uses the following features:
- The CXN or the connective piece, which is unique to Easton that connects its two-piece design. This works to reduce or even eliminate bat sting and uses the wasted energy by redistributing it back to the ball. You can expect for a trampoline effect.
- Power hitters prefer this type of BBCOR bat as it gives them more confidence to crush the ball without worrying about shaking up.
- In conjunction with CXN piece, the TCT feature also provides further distance into batted balls. These features are proven to be the driving elements behind every MAKO’s stellar performance.
How to Choose the Best BBCOR BatS for You
All BBCOR Bats have the same relative weight according to every bat length. For example, all 30” BBCOR certified bats weigh 27 ounces while all 31” BBCOR bats are 28 ounces and so on.
- Make sure to choose a BBCOR baseball bat according to your height and weight. Follow the recommended size chart that you can find on various baseball sites. However, remember that the corresponding height and weight included in most of these charts is based on generalization.
- If possible, you should try hitting with different sizes of BBCOR baseball bat to experience it’s swing speed and test its comfort and grip.
- Determining the right swing load is also important. Some bats can have more loads towards the end cap or towards the hand while some rest somewhere in the middle. Choose where you prefer the swing load.
All of these are recommendations that most professional baseball players follow. Still, it is up to you on which of the best BBCOR bats above suit you and your potential as a player.
>> Our review about best youth baseball bats
>> Read here if you want to choose best softball bats