Softball hitting drills is important and should always be included in every practice session. We can say that hitting is one of the crucial aspects of this sport thus; coaches and teams must ensure that every player has enough skills and knowledge with proper hitting. Remember that you should be able to produce runs for the team.
One must practice these softball drills to achieve and learn proper hitting techniques. However, coaches tend to use the same drills over and over making the practice session boring. It is a must to give players varieties of learning stimulus to spice their hitting practices.
Drills to Try
One Handed Hitting Drill – this is considered one of the best hitting drills. The goal here is to hit the ball off a tee or thrown by a tosser but you are only allowed to hold the bat with only one hand. The drill aims to improve the player’s bat swing and bat speed.
- Perform the drill using both the top and bottom hands one at a time.
- Start off with the bat in your bottom hand while your other hand should be pressed against your chest for balance.
- Try to hit the ball using a normal swing. Make at least three sets of five swings for each hand.
- Keep your elbow down and inside of your front hip. To effectively execute the drill, you have to swing the bat accordingly.
The drill is also used for promoting short swing. Moreover, it is important that you will use a shorter and a lighter softball bat when practicing the drill otherwise, you will put too much stress on your shoulders making it difficult to execute the drill.
Three Tees - the drill requires a bucket of balls, three tees and a net. The activity should focus on the player’s arm extension.
- Step 1. Place the tees in a straight line leading to the net. The first tee should be placed 10 feet away from the net. The second tee should be 10 feet away from the first and the third tee should be also 10 feet away from the second tee.
- Step 2. Start with five balls on the first tee. You should pitch as if the ball is down the middle. The hits should fly solid and straight to the net. After 10 solid hits, proceed to the next tee. The distance will force you to focus on throwing your hands to the pitcher.
Bam Bams Drill - this drill aims to teach the players to do a compact swing. A light dumbbell or a softball is needed for this drill. First, position in your batting stance then hold, whichever of the material is available with your lower hand. Place your bottom hand across your chest so the dumbbell or the ball will follow through a straight line.
Repeat this drill for at least 15 times.
One Knee Drill - you will need a partner to do this drill. It also requires a soft-toss machine and a tee.
Kneel on the ground by back knee to isolate your upper body. Your front leg should be extended out in front of you while your back leg is positioned like the one on the picture.
For the first round, only use your bottom hand, followed by the Bam Bams drill. With your elbow leading, swing through the ball. On the next round, use only your top hand. Focus on a follow through then swing through the ball. On the last round, use both of your hands and execute a swing.
Throwing Bat Drill - you will need a large open space for this drill. The throwing bat drill is a great way to have an immediate evaluation of the player’s swing. When the batter is in his batting stance, he should swing and release the bat. Make sure to release it at the point of contact with the ball.
The point where the bat land is important as it will give you an idea about your hitting mechanics. It should fly straight forward in a spiral rotation if you did it right. But if it flies to the right or left, something is wrong with your batting. Repeat the drill until you make the perfect spiral rotation.
These softball hitting drills are an important part of every softball practice. Make sure to adhere and follow these drills to hone your batting skills and develop your own batting techniques. There are other hitting drills to try according to your level of league. Proceed to the challenging drills once you master the basic hitting drills.