There are various divisions in baseball and they could be confusing especially for beginners. To clarify things and understand better, below is a list of a synopsis per division.
Tee Ball Baseball is ideal for little boys and girls, around 4-5 years old. Other local tee ball league allows 6-7 year old kids so they can learn the fundamentals of baseball such as hitting and fielding. It is called Tee Ball baseball because players are hitting the ball off a batting tee. According to the rules of the game, it may vary accordingly to address the teaching.
- The main goal of Tee Ball is to teach kids the fundamentals of baseball. This will also allow them to experience how it is to work with a team.
- This league aims to encourage the parents to get involved in introducing their children in Little League division of baseball.
- Parents can become eligible umpires, coaches, local league board members, managers and other voluntary positions.
- The rosters may be composed of 12 to 20 players however, most leagues only prefer 12-15 players.
9-10 YEAR OLD BASEBALL DIVISION
This division is apparently, for boys and girls age 9-10 years old. It was established as a tournament in 1994. Similar with Tee Ball, this division is ideal for kids to experience tournament competition. The players can come from Minor Division or Major Division teams. It requires the use of a 60-ft diamond.
Intermediate (50/70) Baseball Division
This division caters to children ages 12 - 13 years old and was first introduced in 2010. Hence, it is a new division in the Little League. It uses the 50-foot pitching distance and 70-foot base paths.
- It gives them the opportunity to transition from the Junior/Senior/Big League Filed Size with a 6-inch pitching distance and 90-foot base paths to standard Little League Field size with a 46-foot pitching distance and 60-foot base paths.
- Likewise, parents are encouraged to get involved in the newest division and sign-up their kids. After that, they too, can be eligible as umpires, coaches, managers and other available positions.
JUNIOR LEAGUE BASEBALL Division
The Junior League Division is for boys and girls who are 12-14 years old. The program uses the conventional 90-foot diamond and has a pitching distance of 60 feet, 6 inches but it can be modified during the regular season.
- It has the option to choose tournament teams from within its division or from the Senior League Division.
- Like other divisions, it highly encourages parents to participate and get engaged together with their children.
The Junior League World Series is a tournament sponsored by Little League International. The teams in this division have the opportunity to compete from other baseball teams around the world. The structure of the tournament is similar with the structure of the Little League Baseball World Series.
Senior League Baseball and Big League Baseball Division
This is for boys and girls of 13-16 years old. It uses a conventional 90-ft diamond. It also follows the pitching distance of 60 feet, 6 inches.
- The local league also has the option to choose teams from within the division or from Big League or Junior League Divisions.
- The Big League Division is for children who ages 17-18 years old and also uses the 90-foot conventional diamond.
Do not get confused. The Junior, Senior and Big League are all youth baseball divisions under the Little League Baseball. These divisions are considered more difficult and advanced compare to younger Little League Division such as the Intermediate Division.
These divisions have more advanced rules like base stealing and have greater pitching distance and longer base paths. Baseball gears such as cleats and bats were also upgraded.
Apparently, the love for baseball as a sport can start as early as four years old. These various divisions under Little League are the good place to start culminating your child’s passion for baseball. Little League is surrounded by experts, baseball professionals and enthusiasts who will make sure that children are properly guided and disciplined.